‘Tis the season

Of all the things I thought I would miss I can’t say I thought the seasons would be on the list. Honduras is a land of few seasons. One part of the year is hot and the other is hot and wet. Asi es la vida.

It’s hurricane season right now and there’s a thick dust in the air, the type that will only disappear with rain. Everybody is waiting, listening, anticipating the rain. There’s excitement for it, like the arrival of a visiting friend. We’re just waiting for that change in the air. 

For all that I am living in the land of few seasons we appear to be in season of the electricity failures. Twice in the last week I have had the computers die in the middle of class leaving me with rows of disappointed little faces. The locals here just accept it in a way that I can’t help but admire.

I remember hearing something amusing about the Honduran people recently. It said that even though the Honduran government is the worlds best caricature of corruption and incompetence, miraculously the country has escaped any form of civil unrest for decades. I think it’s a testament to their natural disposition to be accepting and laid back about things over which they feel they have little power to change. In the case of their government it feels like a failing. In the case of the weather and power supply, it’s probably wise